CHIEF Minister Gallagher has announced a package of measures to keep men in hard hats hard at work.
She says her Government will award $10 million dollars worth of ‘ready-now’ construction contracts and make further cuts to red-tape for the construction industry as part of a new ACT Government package to reforms the way that capital works are procured in the territory.
“The ACT Government is working closely with the ACT construction industry to come up with ways that will stimulate construction activity in the ACT and in turn will help to support the ACT economy through what is expected to be a tough few years,” Katy said.
The “Building Canberra – Providing an easier way” framework will:
- deploy new technologies to reduce red tape and duplication in capital works tendering processes;
- introduce thresholds that will unlock more opportunities for ACT-region Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs);
- maintain an up-to-date call tender schedule;
- release a list of 20 ready-now contracts totaling $10 million;
- enable continuous improvement through the expansion of mandatory post implementation reviews and an enhanced database of contractor performance;
- expedite tender evaluation through reducing paperwork and increasing use of preferred contractor systems; and
- commit to an ethos of cooperative contracting and partnering in the efficient delivery of capital works.
We’ve published the list of contracts online as a doc.