Police respond to video of their officer pepper spraying a chained dog

Policeman pepper sprays dog

ACT Policing have made the highly unusual step of making a statement on facebook and twitter without releasing it on their website.

The statement reads:

In relation to The Canberra Times online post today (June 20), ACT Policing treats allegations such as this seriously and this matter is subject to an internal investigation by AFP Professional Standards (PRS).

ACT Policing does not condone cruelty to animals in any form. All officers are required to report all use of force actions, and the reported use of oleoresin capsicum spray is part of this requirement.

The AFP operational safety guidelines in relation to use of force can be found here: http://ow.ly/yfeaO

As this investigation remains ongoing, it would not be appropriate for ACT Policing to comment any further.

The Canberra Times article features CCTV of a chained dog being pepper sprayed, taunted, and having a stick thrown at it by officers.

UPDATE: A further tweet from The Chief Police Officer via ACT Policing:

Further Update: Lawyers for the complainant Ben Aulich and Associates have forwarded the full videos of the incident.

First there’s the actual spraying:

And then the aftermath.

UPDATE: The RSPCA is also communicating only via social media and has made this statement on facebook:

We have received a number of inquiries about a video posted by the Canberra Times today. The AFP are RSPCA-ACT’s trusted partner in preventing cruelty to animals on a normal daily basis. Today, they even supported us in a very difficult inspectorate case.

However, this video shows inexcusable behaviour towards a dog that is tethered and obviously cannot hurt that officer. What we don’t know is why he did this. We only know after speaking with the AFP that the animal did not require veterinarian treatment for this officer’s actions.

We also know that the AFP are currently conducting internal investigations into the matter, and we are prepared to support them as required to ensure that the welfare of this and any other animal is protected regardless of who might be involved.

, ,

15 Responses to “Police respond to video of their officer pepper spraying a chained dog”

1. A
    June 24, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

I totally agree with most of the comments. I am an AFP member and I am totally disgusted by the actions of all of the officers involved. But please remember we are NOT all like this. Don’t tar us all with the same brush.

• Diamond Steve
      June 25, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

As a member of the AFP I would think that you’d be smarter than to comment on an active investigation in a public forum. Your lack of esprit de corps is astounding, I bet you have many friends. Well, maybe less now.

• Alison J
        June 26, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

Glad to hear that Steve. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, it’s a disgrace.

• Karen
          June 29, 2014 at 3:13 pm #

Read it properly Alison-he (“Diamond Steve”) was criticising a principled member of the AFP (“A”) not the perpetrator – more concerned with some distorted code of honour that backs up a colleague no matter how disgracefully they behave.

• Alison J
            July 4, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

Yes Karen, I realised after I posted that I had used the wrong name and then couldn’t remove it. No need to get nasty it was an honest mistake. The content of my post made it obvious that I was disgusted by the AFP behaviour towards the dog. Get back in your box.

• Karen
            July 7, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

Alison I’m sorry If you thought I was nasty – that wasn’t the intent.

• Karen
        June 28, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

The public need reassurance that all Police aren’t psychopaths – “A’s” comments are helpful and public spirited – the police “esprit de corps” is what worries most people. It’s comforting to know that at some are capable of individual and professional thinking and behaviour .

2. Karen Hamilton
    June 23, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

This incident was originally only recorded as a Level One Public Relations Complaint and was only upgraded when a lawyer intervened, also the Police Officer involved was only suspended from front line duty after the story hit the media – which would also seem to be the reason that Police are only now going into damage control. The officer should be outright suspended to demonstrate that the Police are taking this as seriously as they claim – action not just words.

3. Pete
    June 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

So where’s the animal libs??? There two busy with the Roo kull I guess , can’t get lower than hurting a defenceless animal , I reakon the dog should get its turn now , GRUB ACT

4. Shireen
    June 21, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

We don’t need people like him in the AFP. You could see the dog was confused, it was barking because there were strangers on the property, but also the tail was wagging. AFP get rid of him.

5. Jessica Yeo
    June 20, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

The colleagues that stood there and didn’t do anything to stop him are equally sh-t.

John Griffiths
      June 20, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

watching the long form videos I’m not sure the colleagues understood the situation

• spitonmefilm
        June 21, 2014 at 11:20 am #

That is a given. Its rare this strand of policeman understands much at all. What a bunch of buffoons. AFP have so much work to do over and above getting matters before the courts. Im not sure that many are too surprised by the behaviour here but going a step further and hurting animals? Setting the integrity back about a thousand years. Unbelievable.

6. Alison J
    June 20, 2014 at 6:39 pm #

I am absolutely appalled at this. And there are four involved. This is a disgrace and the public need to know what is done about it. I am horrified. That poor dog. How DARE they. Disgusted.