Possum nest sparks off Latham house fire. Possum believed to be OK

possum

A possum nest has sparked a fire in a Latham home.

Firefighters were called to a property on O’Loghlen Street about 9:15pm after residents called Emergency Triple Zero (000).

A new fireplace had recently been installed within an old structure but it was being used for the first time tonight.

A possum had set up a nest of gum leaves and other debris between the existing and new flue.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly and damage was contained to the fireplace and roof space.

Two ACT Fire & Rescue crews attended the scene along with a commander.

It is believed the possum made it out safely.

10:04 PM

[Photo via wikipedia]

, , , ,