Possum nest sparks off Latham house fire. Possum believed to be OK

possum

A possum nest has sparked a fire in a Latham home.

Firefighters were called to a property on O’Loghlen Street about 9:15pm after residents called Emergency Triple Zero (000).

A new fireplace had recently been installed within an old structure but it was being used for the first time tonight.

A possum had set up a nest of gum leaves and other debris between the existing and new flue.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly and damage was contained to the fireplace and roof space.

Two ACT Fire & Rescue crews attended the scene along with a commander.

It is believed the possum made it out safely.

10:04 PM

[Photo via wikipedia]

, , , ,

4 Responses to “Possum nest sparks off Latham house fire. Possum believed to be OK”

  1. pscottier
    May 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

    Good to see the rare match-tail is making a comeback.

  2. Robyn Soxsmith
    May 5, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

    I’m glad the possum is ok

  3. PeopleAgainstPeopleAgainstPossums
    May 4, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

    how is that news, and why does the Canberra times (aka City news) have a newfound vendetta against the protected Brushtail possums?

    • John Griffiths
      John Griffiths
      May 4, 2014 at 10:33 pm #

      Well, in over 14 years reporting local news this is the first time I’ve heard of such a thing.

      Which makes it quite newsworthy.

Leave a Reply

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private.
%d bloggers like this: