Eastlake Football Club Board, Management, Members, Staff, Players and Past Players were saddened to learn of the passing of Ken Macdonald on Thursday 3 July 2014. Ken has been Patron of Eastlake Football Club since 1995 when he retired from the board after a total of 47 years of service.
Ken has been an Australian football administrator for more than 60 years. In 1994 his achievements as a football administrator were recognised when he was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia.
His efforts were further recognised in 2003 when he was inducted into the ACT Sports Hall of Fame and again in 2010 when he was inducted into the AFL Canberra Hall of Fame for his contribution to Australian football in the ACT.
Ken Macdonald’s involvement in Eastlake Football Club, has spanned seven decades – 50 years as a player, administrator and board member. As President of the Club, Ken instigated many initiatives and developments, including the building of the original Eastlake clubhouse at Kingston Oval in 1953 and was the driving force behind the development of the current Eastlake Club in 1965. Ken was President of Eastlake Football Club for a total of 21 years.
Ken’s achievements have been remarkable. He was an easy-going and humble man, driven by his deep love of the game. He is without doubt, the greatest figure in the life of Eastlake.
Ken was born in 1920 in Ganmain in the Riverina. His family moved to Canberra in May 1925. His association with Eastlake began when he played in the Colts competition in 1938.