Heater sparks $20k blaze

Share Canberra's trusted news:

A fire sparked by a heater has caused an estimated $20,000 damage to a Hackett property on the weekend. 

Firefighters were called to the three bedroom house on Rivett Street at around 9am on Saturday, after the only occupant woke to the smell of smoke.

It took three fire pumpers, a Breathing Apparatus Van, a Hazardous Materials Unit and a command vehicle to distinguish the blaze.

The source of the fire was identified as a wall heater.

Firefighters say the property was not fitted with a fire alarm and reminded residents of the importance of having a working smoke alarm installed.

 

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articlePizza thief flees with cash
Next articleLocal sprinter leads Paralympic gold rush

Leave a Reply