You must have heard, the MAMAs (no PAPAs) are the MusicACT Annual Music Awards, coming up in November and nominations close on Monday October 15.
The awards will be judged by the public and also by a panel of industry leaders, including Gregg Donovan of Wonderlick Entertainment, Chris Reeves of Parallel Management, Greg Arnold, Ian Pav, Chelsea Sinnott, Geoff Bell and Buzz Bidstrup. The Hall of Fame inductee will be chosen by MusicACT.
The MAMAs committee itself is so inspired that it’s quoting Pythagoras to the effect that “Each celestial body, in fact each and every atom, produces a particular sound on account of its movement, its rhythm or vibration. All these sounds and vibrations form a universal harmony in which each element, while having its own function and character, contributes to the whole.”
MusicACT’s idea is that “if we hand out a title like ‘Best Rock Band in the Capital’ they’ll probably become international rock stars. If we name our best songwriter, we’ll have a more prestigious song writing industry.”
Although the sheer love of music should be quie enough, organisers have given “CityNews” 10 reasons why musicians should nominate:
1. Because you are sick of venues closing, less support for music activities and continued lack of consideration given to music in decision making!
2. You love listening to music, watching live performance, performing, putting on gigs, recording music, learning/teaching instruments…
3. You are part of a music community and want to see it thrive
4. You are sick of seeing Canberra musicians and music industry given lack of profile and respect locally and nationally
5. To show the local public, business and politicians that there is a vibrant music culture in the ACT that should be supported
6. To support MusicACT who are there to promote and advocate for the local music industry (ie help those that help YOU)
7. Have your music showcased with those of your peers
8. Have your music reviewed by experienced industry figures
9. You might get more profile by being a finalist
10. You might get the profile and prizes that will help your music career/business if you win.
Winners will be announced at the MAMAs gala on Friday, December 7, at Albert Hall.To enter—be quick—visit http://musicact.com.au/mamas