Unattended cooking causes Mawson house fire

Share Canberra's trusted news:

A HOUSE fire has caused about $20,000 damage to a Mawson unit this afternoon. 

Firefighters were called to the property on Herd Street at 4.19pm where they discovered a fire in the kitchen of a single level unit and quickly containing it to the kitchen and extinguished it, preventing it from speading further.

The cause has been determined as cooking left unattended on a stove.

A lone occupant of the unit safely self evacuated himself. He is being assessed on scene by ACT Ambulance Service intensive care paramedics for minor smoke inhalation.

Firefighters are currently ventilating the property.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleA taste of Classic Yass
Next articleFashion joins Arts at Cup Lunch in Belco

Leave a Reply