Canberrans get into the spirit of Centenary

Share Canberra's trusted news:

MORE than seventy five percent of Canberrans have attended at least one Centenary event so far this year, according to a survey released by the ACT Government.

The survey is based on telephone interviews with 1000 people aged 18 or over, and reports that an estimated 270,000 Canberra residents have involved themselves with the celebrations in the first 12 weeks.

Chief Minister Katy Gallagher says she has been impressed with the public response.

“With the first quarter of the Centenary of Canberra year now behind us, it is gratifying to know that so many people have already engaged with the celebrations,” Ms Gallagher says.

Birthday celebrations held lakeside on Monday 11 March were reportedly attended by around 150,000 locals and visitors.

“Highlights like the day-night cricket international at Manuka Oval, the Handa Women’s Australian Open golf at Royal Canberra, The Secret River as the Canberra Theatre Centre and the Parties at the Shops were all big crowd-pullers,” Ms Gallagher says.

The capital’s 100th birthday has also proved popular for news outlets, both locally and nationally.

A report released recently shows that in the first quarter of the year a total of 5101 media reports mentioned the Centenary.

For more information on Centenary events, you can visit http://www.canberra100.com.au/.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleNDIS Levy ‘right thing to do’
Next article$100,000 for 100 heroes

Leave a Reply