Alleged bicycle thief collared

Share Canberra's trusted news:

police

A 40-year-old Higgins man will face the ACT Magistrates Court next month over the thefts of a number of bicycles.

Police will allege the man stole three bicycles on separate occasions since May this year. One of the bikes was stolen from outside Westfield Belconnen, and the other two from Acton.

Following on information received, police executed a search warrant on August 5 at the Higgins home, seizing a number of items.

The man will be summonsed to face the ACT Magistrates Court in October on charges of theft, attempt to obtain property by deception and unlawful possession of stolen property.

Investigations are continuing.

Superintendent of North District, Brett Kidner, said that over the last few years there has been an increase in bike thefts, which led police, with the ACT Government, to launch a bike anti-theft and security awareness campaign (‘Lock it, or Lose it’), earlier this year.

“In the last 18 months, only 16 per cent of bikes recovered by ACT Policing were able to be identified,” Superintendent Kidner said.

“As part of the campaign a Bike Passport was developed so bike owners can easily record the required information, such as the serial number and any unique characteristics. This information can assist us in identifying the stolen bike and return it to its rightful owner,” he said.

A copy of the Bike Passport is available on the ACT Policing website.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleNatural disaster grants for Canberra organisations
Next articleBrown water warning for Kaleen and Bruce tomorrow – Postponed

Leave a Reply