Video / Biffo in the Monkey Bar

Share Canberra's trusted news:

ACT Policing is seeking the public’s assistance in identifying offenders involved in a large disturbance involving up to 20 people in Civic in the early hours of Sunday, September 21.

About 2.40am on that date, a disturbance broke out inside the Monkey Bar nightclub on Bunda Street, with reports that chairs and bottles had been thrown.

On arrival, ACT Policing officers observed a number of men and women of African appearance attempting to incite physical conflict with a large group of men of Pacific Islander/Maori appearance.

The crowd was dispersed and escorted by police and security guards from the premises. This was followed by another disturbance at the entrance to the Monkey Bar involving one of the men escorted from the premises after the earlier incident. The man was taken into custody by police and lodged at the ACT Watch House, and investigations into both incidents are ongoing.

Sergeant of the Regional Targeting Team, Jim Edwards, said that ACT Policing’s Regional Targeting Team and licensees are working cooperatively to provide a safe environment in the ACT.

“In violent incidents such as these, police and licensees work together to remove violent and aggressive patrons from licensed premises. Staff members have the right to feel safe in their workplace and other patrons should also be able to go out and not have their safety compromised,” said Sergeant Edwards.

The Regional Targeting Team works throughout the ACT and specifically around high-risk venues targeting alcohol-fuelled violence.

“Incidents such as these can wreck everyone’s night and we want to identify these people to reduce the risk of them ruining your night,” Sergeant Edwards said.

Police are seeking to identify the offenders and any witnesses to the violent incidents both inside and outside the nightclub in the early hours of Sunday, September 21. Anyone who has information which may assist the investigation is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via act.crimestoppers.com.au. Information can be provided anonymously.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleGovernment House open to the public this Sunday
Next articleSpringtime in Yarralumla – Japanese style

Leave a Reply