Share Canberra's trusted news:
KEEP Australia Beautiful have shared their findings into Canberra’s most littered places and the leading litter items.
“Of the 5,764 rubbish items collected in the ACT so far, 43 per cent has been collected from our highways,” Keep Australia Beautiful CEO Peter McLean said.
The breakdown of the rubbish items in the ACT is just as stark.
- Cigarette butts (55.2 per cent)
- Types of plastic (17.6 per cent)
- Paper and cardboard products (15.0 per cent)
- Metal products (9.0 per cent)
- Glass (1.3 per cent)
- Miscellaneous (1.6 per cent)
- Illegal dumping (0.03 per cent)
“With 3,184 collected so far, cigarette butts make up 55 per cent of the total amount of rubbish in the ACT,” he said.
“Smokers just aren’t getting the message to not throw cigarette butts on the ground.”