Fourth death cap poisoning

Share Canberra's trusted news:

death cap

ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Paul Kelly has announced a fourth poisoning in Canberra due to death cap mushrooms.

“People are reminded not to pick and eat any wild mushrooms. It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish Death Cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms,” Dr Kelly said.

“Initial symptoms of Death Cap mushroom poisoning include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. These usually occur 6-24 hours after ingestion of the mushroom.

“Approximately 2 to 4 days after mushroom consumption, severely poisoned patients may progress to liver failure.”

[Photo via The Encyclopedia of New Zealand]

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleYarralumla Creek shared path closed until August
Next articleSocials: At the annual UC Foundation function, University of Canberra

Leave a Reply