ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Paul Kelly has announced a fourth poisoning in Canberra due to death cap mushrooms.
“People are reminded not to pick and eat any wild mushrooms. It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish Death Cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms,” Dr Kelly said.
“Initial symptoms of Death Cap mushroom poisoning include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. These usually occur 6-24 hours after ingestion of the mushroom.
“Approximately 2 to 4 days after mushroom consumption, severely poisoned patients may progress to liver failure.”
These are institutions funded and regulated by the federal government, and provided with a great deal of taxpayers’ money. There should be total transparency about what happens in them, writes political columnist MICHELLE GRATTAN.