NGA’s director Radford calls it a day

Share Canberra's trusted news:

THE director of the National Gallery of Australia, Ron Radford, will not seek reappointment when his contract expires in September this year.

While this probability has been widely discussed in art circles and corroborated in the Gallery’s annual report, the conjecture surrounding Radford’s future was confirmed at the elite NGA Foundation Dinner on Saturday, where those present were told that the director planned to retire.

National Gallery of Australia director Ron Radford.
National Gallery of Australia director Ron Radford.
Radford came from the top job at the South Australian Art Gallery to become director of the flagship art institution in 2005, making him the Gallery’s longest serving director. He succeeded Brian Kennedy, Betty Churcher and James Mollison in the job.

A “convert” to Canberra, during his long reign he has overseen the dramatic building program that resulted in a new entry point for the Gallery and the construction of a dedicated wing for Aboriginal art. His forward planning for the Gallery will see a further stage of building to include special Australian Art Galleries and research facilities.

A spokesman for the National Gallery of Australia told “CityNews” today that there was nothing new in what was announced at Saturday’s dinner, as his decision had been made some time ago.

“Shiva as Nataraja, Lord of the Dance,” NGA collection, acquired 2008
“Shiva as Nataraja, Lord of the Dance,” NGA collection, acquired 2008
Nonetheless, the confirmation that Radford will not seek a further term comes in the wake of mounting concern regarding the provenance and means of acquisition of the priceless “Dancing Shiva” temple artefact acquired by the Gallery at a cost of $5 million from jailed former art dealer, Subash Kapoor.

The ABC television program “Four Corners” is investigating affair, which has also seen the NGA sue Kapoor.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleGallagher’s cheque to rescue Jets
Next articleDrug squad swoops in Bruce
Helen Musa
“CityNews” arts editor

Leave a Reply