Safety alert on USB chargers

Share Canberra's trusted news:

DSC06725

THE ACT’s Office of Regulatory Services has republished a NSW warning on unsafe USB chargers following a death.

“Do not purchase or use an electrical product that does not carry a recognised safety approval mark or insulation on the pins of the plug,” said the NSW Fair Trading Commissioner.

“Consumers in possession of unapproved and non-compliant USB style chargers, typically used to charge phones and tablets, should bend the pins on the chargers and dispose of them immediately.

“As a general safety rule, consumers should not use any devices while they are plugged in and charging.”

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleShane rails against the big party stitch up in the Legislative Assembly
Next articleNew trees for Lanyon’s heritage garden

6 COMMENTS

    • Hi Frank, as a general precaution when throwing away electrical items that are malfunctioning, you should bend the pins to make the device unusable. This way, if anyone ever finds the item, it cannot be plugged in putting the new user at risk. This is much better then cutting the lead off, because you end up with a death lead this way where the end you just cut off could be plugged in with the exposed wires completely unsheilded….you never know what kids are going to do.

  1. “As a general safety rule, consumers should not use any devices while they are plugged in and charging.”

    Does this really mean that laptops that are plugged in and charging should not be used? Ridiculous!

  2. If the wires are showing and frayed does that mean it is unsafe? (The plastic is broken through and the wires are visible and unravelling.)

Leave a Reply