IT'S an exciting time around town as the finalists for the 2016 ACT Australian of the Year are announced.
There's a crowded field of worthy Canberrans this year. They are:
2016 ACT AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Dr Alison Taylor and Dr Michael Archinal - Veterinarians (Holder and Red Hill)
- David Morrison AO - Equality advocate (Griffith)
- Dr Brendan Nelson - Cultural leader (Barton)
- Dr Helen Watchirs OAM - Human rights advocate (Deakin)
2016 ACT SENIOR AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Yvonne Cuschieri OAM - Cancer support pioneer (Queanbeyan)
- Major General the Honourable Michael Jeffery AC AO (Mil) CVO MC - Sustainable agriculture advocate (Yarralumla)
- Professor Chris Parish - Medical researcher (Campbell)
- Professor Greg Tegart AM FTSE- Scientist and technology advocate (Yarralumla)
2016 ACT YOUNG AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Dr Kate Eisenberg - Doctor, science advocate and volunteer (Holt)
- Sophie Hope - Multidimensional volunteer (Casey)
- Leonard Weiss - Musician (Forrest)
- Nipuni Wijewickrema - Social entrepreneur (Chifley)
2016 ACT LOCAL HERO
- Peter Cursley - Newborn care champion (Farrer)
- Fiona Kirk - Charity founder (Greenway)
- David Richards - Volunteer Fundraiser and Christmas enthusiast (Forrest)
- Yanping Zhang - Medical researcher (Bruce)
Best of luck to all of them, individual biographies are available at australianoftheyear.org.au.
Who can be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.
If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.
Ian Meikle, editor