A MAN was trapped after the truck he was driving hit a tree on Canberra Avenue, outside HMAS Harman, this morning (December 15). ACT ambulance paramedics, working NSW paramedics, stabilised the patient on scene while […]
ACT Policing caught 83 drivers with their eyes off the road during a month of Driver Distraction targeting in June.
The vast majority of drivers were distracted by mobile phones, with 48 Traffic Infringement Notices (TINs) and 32 Cautions issued for using a hand-held mobile phone while driving. Two TINs and one Caution were issued for driving without a clear view, such as driving with a foggy or frosted windscreen.
Traffic Operations Acting Officer in Charge Station Sergeant Sue Smith said while mobile phone use was an issue, she was pleased to see less distracted drivers compared to last year.
“When we did the same targeting in June 2014 police caught 161 distracted drivers. The drop in numbers suggests that people are starting to get the message about mobile phones and driving,” A/Station Sergeant Smith said.
“Driving demands your full attention. If you’re looking down at your phone even for a second, you’re effectively driving blindfolded. When you look up and there’s something in front of you, you just won’t have enough time to stop.”
ACT Policing is now focused on targeting speeding drivers during July.
“Speeding is one of the top contributors to death and injury on our roads. While police will do our part by enforcing the speed limit, we’re asking everyone to make a personal commitment to slow down and help avoid any more tragedies on our roads.”