No road deaths, but plenty of speedsters and drunks

Share Canberra's trusted news:

POLICE say they are pleased that the ACT remained fatality free over the Easter holiday period, with only three collisions resulting in minor injuries. 

Tpolicehey says the Operation Crossroads partnership between ACT Policing and NSW Police provided a highly visible presence throughout the Capital Region to keep motorists safe during a traditionally busy time on our roads.

was pleased there were no deaths or serious injuries over the Easter holiday.

“While it’s a relief that we made it through this busy period with no deaths or serious injuries on our roads, it was still disappointing to see some drivers speeding and driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs,” says the officer in charge of traffic operations, Sgt Susan Ball.

Over the Easter period, 262 Traffic Infringement Notices were issued for driving offences in the ACT, with 95 of those for speeding.

During Operation Crossroads, ACT Policing conducted 5500 breath tests, of which 17 returned a positive result, and 71 roadside drug tests, of which seven returned a possible reading subject to further analysis.

“While ACT Policing conducted more alcohol and drug screening tests compared to last year, we saw less people caught driving while impaired. So, the message is getting through but there’s still work to be done.”

About 8.50pm on Sunday (April 5), a 37-year-old man was caught drunk driving on Barry Drive, Turner, with both left tyres of his car heavily damaged. The man returned a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.218 grams. He was released into what police say was the “care of a seemingly angry family member” and issued with an Immediate Suspension Notice. The man will be summonsed to face the ACT Magistrates Court.

“To those Canberra drivers who did the right thing over the long weekend – thank you,” says Sgt Ball.

 

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleSwap those troublesome weeds!
Next articleGovernment closes ovals

Leave a Reply