“THE week of the Italian way of living” culminates with Vivere all’Italiana Day and an open day at the Italian embassy on Sunday, November 25. Visitors will be invited into the embassy gardens where Italian […]
ALISTAIR Coe has released the Canberra Liberals’ vision for the future of cycling in Canberra, with a focus on improved connectedness, safety and a better experience for cyclists.
Alistair says “Our 10 year vision includes:
- Segregated/separated cycle paths on major arterial roads.
- Completion of crucial missing links in the network, such as Kuringa Drive.
- A comprehensive cycling tourism strategy.
- Regular world class cycling and mountain bike races.
- Having cycling regarded as mode of choice for than 10% of commuters.
- Promotion of electric bikes.
- No deaths on our network.
- Support for technology solutions to help friends and family track vulnerable cyclists.
- Better lighting on our network.
- Better education for existing and potential cyclists, and other road users.
- Updated cycling maps in innovative formats.
- Comprehensive street sweeping and removal of chip seal on cycle paths.
- Improved fit-outs to accommodate taking bicycles on board buses.
- Dedicated cycle lanes in the median of Northbourne Avenue, Federal Highway and Flemington Road.
- Retaining mandatory helmet laws.
- Expanding cycle share scheme in consultation with the NCA and national institutions.
“The Canberra Liberals support all forms of cycling, be it for commuting, competition or recreation,” Mr Coe concluded.