Mobile crane tip over kills man in Belconnen

Share Canberra's trusted news:

image

ACT Policing is investigating the death of a man at a construction site in Belconnen tonight (Thursday 4 August).

Police were alerted to the incident on Aikman Drive around 6.40pm where a mobile crane had tipped over.

ACT Policing’s Criminal Investigation Team are conducting a joint investigation with WorkSafe ACT and will prepare a report for the coroner.

Investigations are ongoing.

Police remind people they should not report crime information via Facebook and Twitter pages.


UPDATE: Worksafe have released a statement:

ACT Work Safety Commissioner Greg Jones has expressed his sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of a worker tragically killed at the University of Canberra Public Hospital site on Thursday evening.

“Worksafe ACT can confirm that the fatality was the result of a mobile crane carrying a large generator rolling onto its side, with the boom coming into contact with the worker,” Mr Jones said.

The site has now been handed over to WorkSafe ACT from ACT Policing. Worksafe’s major investigation team is now conducting a thorough and rigorous investigation of the incident that will continue over coming days, with ongoing co-operation from ACT Policing.

“The Worksafe investigation will assess areas such as mechanical safety, ground conditions, safe work systems and standards, and the training and briefing provided to workers. A geotechnical expert is assisting with the assessment of the ground conditions, and the manufacturers of the crane are also assisting with the investigation into the crane’s operation.

“This tragic incident highlights the need for all construction site operators to ensure that they have adequate safety methods in place, that workers are trained in their operation and that the safety methods are closely followed,” Mr Jones said.

Counselling for workers has been arranged through the head contractor and the CFMEU.

The incident is unrelated to an issue associated with a tower crane on the site as part of crane safety compliance audit conducted earlier in the week.

It is anticipated that further information will be available following today’s investigations.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleShort couple on a crime spree in Canberra’s south
Next articleUnderpaid Canberra gym worker gets a win

Leave a Reply