Increasing northwesterly winds ahead of a cold front expected to move through the region Thursday evening.
DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 80 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 120 km/h are possible ahead of front in the parts of ACT
and Snowy Mountains above 1800 metres.
Locations which may be affected include Mount Ginini, Perisher Valley, Charlotte Pass and Thredbo.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 10:50 am.