Axed ANU music course waits on government funds

Share Canberra's trusted news:
Concerned staff and members of the Canberra music community protested against the axeing of a course at the ANU School of Music in September.

THE ANU has said it would immediately be able to get the H Course in Music going again if funds became available from the ACT government, according to acting Shadow Minister for Education Andrew Wall.

Liberal MLA Andrew Wall.

The decision to axe funding for Course H, a year 11 and 12 pre-tertiary auditioned course, along with the “Music Engagement Program” for little children, was made by the ACT government early last year.

Now, in evidence presented today (July 10) to the Education, Employment and Youth Affairs Committee’s Inquiry into the cessation of the H Course in Music, ANU said they would immediately be able to get the course going again if funds became available.

“If the government refuses to fund these programs they risk making music and the arts the domain of the elite only,” Mr Wall says.

“The Minister’s actions simply don’t match her rhetoric. She claims she wants to see equity in our education system but refuses to fund the programs that will provide access to extension learning for students in ACT schools.

“Given the relatively small amount of ­funding required to keep the H Course going, it is either ignorance or incompetence stopping it from happening.”

Arts / Musos play in protest to save music course

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleVolunteer-based cafe trains its way to nationals
Next articleReferendum could give Aboriginals recognition

Leave a Reply