THE ANU has said it would immediately be able to get the H Course in Music going again if funds became available from the ACT government, according to acting Shadow Minister for Education Andrew Wall.
The decision to axe funding for Course H, a year 11 and 12 pre-tertiary auditioned course, along with the “Music Engagement Program” for little children, was made by the ACT government early last year.
Now, in evidence presented today (July 10) to the Education, Employment and Youth Affairs Committee’s Inquiry into the cessation of the H Course in Music, ANU said they would immediately be able to get the course going again if funds became available.
“If the government refuses to fund these programs they risk making music and the arts the domain of the elite only,” Mr Wall says.
“The Minister’s actions simply don’t match her rhetoric. She claims she wants to see equity in our education system but refuses to fund the programs that will provide access to extension learning for students in ACT schools.
“Given the relatively small amount of funding required to keep the H Course going, it is either ignorance or incompetence stopping it from happening.”