FORCED to close its doors earlier in the year because of hailstorm damage, the Old Bus Depot Markets will close again after further coronavirus restrictions were announced yesterday (March 24).
The director of the markets, Anthony Niravong, says the markets will be closed temporarily from Sunday, March 29.
“Our closure is due to COVID-19 cases rising the ACT, along with the subsequent restrictions around crowd numbers and the implementation of social distancing measures across Canberra,” he says.
“We are deeply saddened by the closure and the impact that this is having on our stallholders. Many have also experienced hardship following the summer bushfires, smoke and closures earlier this year due to hailstorms in the ACT. But we fully understand the possible implications on people’s health if we do not temporarily close.”
The market will remain closed until further notice, and Anthony is encouraging Canberrans and visitors from further afield to continue to support the markets’ stallholders during the closure.
“These are uncertain times and at this point we do not know how long the markets will need to remain closed. We would love it if people can continue to support markets’ stallholders by seeking them out online and placing direct orders where possible,” he says.