FOLLOWING recent heavy rain conditions, deadly, death cap mushrooms have been spotted across Canberra, warns chief health officer Dr Kerryn Coleman.
Because of these sightings, the community is being urged to report any mushrooms in public areas to Access Canberra.
Death cap mushrooms, which can be lethal if ingested, are often grow near established oak trees and can be found when there is wet weather, says Dr Coleman.
She is urging Canberrans and anyone visiting Canberra not to pick or eat any wild mushrooms, and to purchase all mushrooms from a reputable supplier.
Anyone who finds a mushroom in a public area is also advised to report it to Access Canberra immediately and to keep children and animals away from it as it is dangerous to even touch the mushroom with bare hands.