HOSPITAL patients in the ACT will be allowed to have two visitors a day when restrictions relax tomorrow (October 26).
The ACT Health announcement comes days after it confirmed the territory’s first case of COVID-19 in more than three months.
Previously only one visitor was allowed to meet with patients per day as part of measures to try to curb the spread of COVID-19, but from tomorrow patients can now receive two visitors either separately or at the same time.
“We are pleased that as COVID-19 restrictions continue to ease across our city we can make these changes to restrictions in our hospitals and health clinics,” says Prof Imogen Mitchell, director of the ACT’s clinical COVID-19 response.
Community support has been instrumental in relaxing conditions as visitors adapted to new health screenings, hand hygiene, and physical distancing rules, according to Prof Mitchell.
Changes were initially implemented to protect vulnerable patients, including those whose health is already compromised.
Health screenings will remain in place and anyone unwilling to participate will be refused entry, says Prof Mitchell.
“It ensures health services have the means to contact trace if needed, and has helped us to keep our staff, patients and their families safe,” she says.
Prof Mitchell warns that changes to restrictions may be reverted or changed at short notice as ACT Health continues to adapt to the ongoing outbreak.