PARTS of Belconnen and the inner north with a Thursday collection won’t have their waste or recycling bins emptied today (November 19) and City Services says missed collections will not be made up.
Like homes in parts of Belconnen and Gungahlin that missed out yesterday, residents are left with the choice of taking their waste to the temporary drop-off sites or waiting to see what happens next week.
Despite ACT government urging for a resolution, disruptions to garbage and waste collections are now in their third week across Canberra due to protected industrial action by drivers employed by collection contractor Suez.
And for householders, it doesn’t get much better tomorrow with City Services flagging that Friday collections in the inner north and inner south “may experience some missed collections”
Householders are asked to put their bins on the kerb for collection.
“A temporary drop-off site will be available in the area for those that experience a missed collection. Alternatively, impacted residents can use the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre in Symonston,” says the directorate.
The impacted suburbs of today’s missed collections are:
• Aranda – waste and recycling
• Belconnen – waste and recycling
• Bruce – waste and recycling
• Cook – waste
• Dunlop (south of Ginninderra Drive) – waste
• Evatt (south of Clancy Street) – waste and recycling
• Florey – waste and recycling
• Giralang – waste and recycling
• Hawker – waste
• Higgins – waste
• Holt – waste
• Kaleen – waste and recycling
• Latham – waste
• Lawson – waste and recycling
• Lyneham (north of Ginninderra Drive) – waste and recycling
• Macgregor – waste
• Macquarie – waste
• McKellar – waste and recycling
• Page – waste and recycling
• Scullin – waste
• Strathnairn – waste
• Weetangera – waste.
Green waste bin services, bulky waste collections and the wheeled-bin assistance service are not affected and will continue as normal.
Temporary rubbish-only drop-off sites are open until Sunday (November 29) for suburbs affected in Belconnen and Gungahlin that normally have their bins collected on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Up to three large bags of household waste (from the general rubbish bin) can be disposed of for free at:
• Flynn – George Simpson Park, off Sanderson Close (9am to 6pm)
• McKellar – McKellar Oval, off Bennetts Close (9am to 6pm)
• Giralang – Giralang AFL Oval, off Tucana Street (9am to 6pm)
• West Belconnen – West Belconnen Resource Management Centre, off Parkwood Road (9am to 6pm)
• Nicholls – next to Hu Guo Bao En Temple, near the intersection of Kelleway Avenue and Anne Clark Avenue (9am to 6pm)
• Mitchell – Mitchell Resource Management Centre, Flemington Road (7.30am to 5pm).
A temporary rubbish-only drop-off site will be available from Saturday to Thursday (November 26) for missed collections in the inner north and inner south on Phillip Avenue in Ainslie at the start of the nature reserve, near the old Ainslie Transfer Station. Alternatively, up to three large bags of household waste can be taken to the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre in Symonston between 7.30am and 5pm.
Temporary drop-off sites in the Tuggeranong area will also remain open until Sunday.
Proof of ACT residency such as a driver’s licence will need to be shown in order to access the free drop-off service.