A WOMAN has been arrested for shoplifting more than $38,000 worth of hair and beauty products, cigarettes and alcohol.
The 31-year-old Farrer woman was arrested for eight shoplifting incidents and is due to face charges at the ACT Magistrates Court.
In December, police executed a search warrant on a Calwell residence for a matter unrelated to the woman. During the warrant police located a large amount of hair and beauty products which were later identified as those stolen from a hair and beauty supply store in Mitchell.
Following further investigations, police executed a second warrant on a Farrer residence yesterday (April 8) and recovered more hair care products which were also identified as stolen from a hair and beauty supply store in Mitchell.
Police will allege the woman was involved in the following thefts:
- On 29 October, $3655.71 of grocery items from a supermarket in Franklin.
- On 9 November, 88 items worth $8296.45 from a hair and beauty store in Mitchell.
- On 23 November, 177 items worth $7396.85 from the same hair and beauty store in Mitchell, entering and leaving the premises three times via a loading dock.
- On 30 November, a further 209 items worth $13,605.32 from the hair and beauty store in Mitchell.
- On 13 January, cigarettes worth $2577.25 from a bottle shop in Wanniassa.
- On 22 January, cigarettes worth $775.40 from a bottle shop in Calwell.
- On 23 January, cigarettes and alcohol worth $1608.50 from a bottle shop in Franklin.
- On 23 January, cigarettes worth $276 from a bottle shop in Dunlop.
The total value of the items stolen, including those recovered, was $38,191.48.
Police believe the woman didn’t commit the thefts alone. Investigations into the thefts are ongoing and police urge the co-offenders to come forward to police.
The woman will be charged with four counts of joint commission of theft, three counts of joint commission of minor theft and one count of theft.
Police will oppose any requests for further bail.