Smoke from vacant cinema causes alarm

Share Canberra's trusted news:

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a vacant cinema in Griffith this afternoon (March 27) after they received reports of smoke.

Investigations discovered a switchboard sparking and producing smoke inside Capitol Cinema on Franklin Street.

Firefighters quickly isolated the switchboard and made the area safe.

HAZMAT are conducting atmospheric monitoring and will remain on scene for the next half an hour.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleMen’s forum warns of increased suicides
Next article‘Terra Celestial’ works move into cyberspace

Leave a Reply