News location:

Canberra Today 11°/16° | Saturday, September 25, 2021 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

‘Redevelopment’ pushes stores out of markets

The Irvine family, from left, Toni, with husband Ken, daughter-in-law Susie and son Todd.

A “PROPOSED” redevelopment of the Belconnen Fresh Food markets has seen a number of small businesses relocate in the past few years, according to a family who own two businesses at the markets. 

The Irvine family, who own the Ziggys Fresh Belconnen store, which has been there for more than 40 years, and the neighbouring florist, Bunches, will close both stores on August 15. 

“We are truly saddened to be faced with no option but to leave this once vibrant location” said Ken Irvine, who owns and operates Ziggys with his wife Toni, son Todd and daughter-in-law Susie. 

Having cultivated a deep connection with the Belconnen community, leaving will be a difficult process for them, he says. 

The redevelopment is said to see the markets turned into a multi-million-dollar artisan food and entertainment precinct, however, stores have left the markets in recent years out of fears that the development will see them face massive financial losses.

Ziggys is one of the latest to close, and Todd, who is the third generation in this line of greengrocers, and who grew up working there says: “Every day we would see the same familiar faces, have a few laughs and do what we love – provide the freshest produce just like our Pop did before us.” 

Ken says Ziggys has been in this spot at Belconnen Markets for so long that it’s heartbreaking to know they won’t make it to the milestone of 50 years in Belconnen as they had always envisaged.

Following the closure of their store, the family is hoping that their Belconnen customers will continue to support them at their store at the Fyshwick Fresh Food Markets.

Who can be trusted?

In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.

If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.

Become a supporter

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Share this

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

News

A drop in employment leads to construction delays

Employment in the ACT’s building and construction sector has slumped to 15,331, down from a high of 20,025 in May last year, according to employment data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today (September 24). 

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews