Safety concerns shut Denman Prospect worksite

Share Canberra's trusted news:
Work Health and Safety commissioner Jacqueline Agius.

FOLLOWING work safety inspections last week, WorkSafe ACT has shut a residential construction site in Denman Prospect due to multiple safety concerns. 

On Wednesday (February 17) WorkSafe ACT visited 26 residential construction sites in Denman Prospect and issued 19 prohibition notices, 56 improvement notices, two infringement notices to the value of $7200 – due to risk of falls –, and shut one worksite. 

Work health and safety commissioner Jacqueline Agius said the notices were issued due to the risk of falls from heights, unsafe scaffolding, electrical hazards, poor housekeeping and insecure site fencing.

“We issued notices at almost all of the 26 sites we visited on Wednesday, because these sites posed serious health and safety risks to workers and other people who might enter the sites,” she said.

“Every worker deserves to go home safely at the end of a day’s work.”

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleTeens set house alight while people slept inside
Next articleRich, free news choices from ‘CityNews’

Leave a Reply