News location:

Canberra Today 3°/9° | Saturday, April 13, 2024 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

Bodies of missing men found in double-murder probe

Tributes have been left at the Paddington home of Jesse Baird, missing with partner Luke Davies. (Bianca De Marchi/AAP PHOTOS)

By Samantha Lock and Maeve Bannister in Sydney

The bodies of two missing men have been found on a rural property more than a week after the couple were allegedly murdered by a serving NSW officer.

Investigators set up a crime scene at a second property at Bungonia after spending days searching dams and paddocks at another site in the area outside Goulburn, about 200km southwest of Sydney.

Police on Tuesday confirmed the two debris-covered bodies – thought to belong to Jesse Baird, 26, and boyfriend Luke Davies, 29 – had been located at the site.

The two men were allegedly murdered in the inner-city suburb of Paddington by police officer Beau Lamarre-Condon, 28, on February 19.

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said detectives were “very confident” the bodies belonged to the couple and the discovery come after investigators received help from Lamarre-Condon.

The senior constable, who briefly dated Mr Baird, allegedly twice attended a property at Bungonia after the double killing, once with an acquaintance who was unaware of the murders and a second time to move the men’s bodies to the nearby site.

Ms Webb said the families of the two missing men had been notified, while a forensic investigation was being carried out at the Bungonia site.

“On behalf of the NSW Police Force, I’d like to pass on my condolences to the Davies and Baird families, their friends and the LGBTQI+ communities,” she told reporters.

Detective Superintendent Daniel Doherty said the bodies were located along a fence line at a property, about 20 minutes from a site police had searched in recent days.

“(The bodies) were in surf bags which we allege were used to transport them from the house and Paddington,” Det Supt Doherty said.

“They were covered in debris and the state of the bodies won’t be known until we do a proper crime scene examination.”

The families of the two men were being supported by police and would travel to the area on Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators were yet to determine whether Lamarre-Condon had any connection to the property.

The senior constable is accused of using his police-issued firearm in the killing before disposing of the couple’s bloodied items in a skip bin at Cronulla, not far from Grays Point.

He has been stood down without pay, Det Supt Doherty confirmed.

“We will allege that this 28-year-old man acted alone, that he’s the sole person responsible for the murders of Luke and Jesse and he is the sole person responsible for placing their bodies at this location,” he said.

Police earlier on Tuesday confirmed a triple-zero call was made from Luke Davies’ mobile phone, rather than from Mr Baird’s phone as previously reported, four minutes after neighbours heard gunshots at the Paddington house.

A patrol car was later sent searching for the source of the call, which was disconnected before anyone spoke.

But officers were unable to locate the user and did not attend Mr Baird’s house at the time.

Investigators allege the crimes followed a months-long campaign of “predatory behaviour” by the charged officer, culminating in the fatal shooting.

Mr Baird’s friend Isaac Muller said the former TV presenter and Lamarre-Condon had a brief encounter but were never ‘going out’.

Police allege Lamarre-Condon acted alone but divulged “partial admissions” to others before handing himself in, having travelled more than 1000km from Sydney to Bungonia and Newcastle in a rented van during his attempts to cover up the crimes.

Who can be trusted?

In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.

If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.

Become a supporter

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Australian Associated Press

Australian Associated Press

Share this

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews