News location:

Thursday, April 3, 2025 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

‘Desperate’ ABC staff redundant as axe falls on 120

Redundant… ABC political editor Andrew Probyn.

By Samantha Lock in Sydney

THE ABC is preparing to cut up to 120 jobs, including its senior arts team and the role of political editor Andrew Probyn.

He was one of the first to confirm he was given the boot and said he was blindsided by the decision.

“I’m pretty flabbergasted,” he told “Guardian Australia”.

The veteran journalist said he was called into a meeting and told his job was no longer needed.

“I’ve been informed that the national broadcaster no longer needs a political editor and that they want to reinvest the money into social and digital reporting roles,” he said.

Probyn said he was struggling to understand the decision, adding: “Only the political editor at the ABC would understand the scrutiny that comes with this role”.

In an email sent to staff by ABC managing director David Anderson, the company confirmed it had spoken to impacted employees.

“It is anticipated that up to 120 employees will potentially leave the ABC,” the email read.

Online, ABC staff described the redundancies as a bloodbath and said they were furious.

“Australian Financial Review” political editor Phil Coorey described Probyn as “the hardest working ABC journalist I know and the broadcaster’s best and most constant news breaker”.

“They’ve sacked him because they suddenly don’t need a political editor,” Coorey said.

“What a disgrace from an organisation full of middle-management time servers.”

ABC news director Justin Stevens sent staff a five-year plan for the national broadcaster on Thursday.

The plan outlined a move away from traditional channels and a shift from three to two divisions, news and content.

It said the ABC would be an integrated digital operation by 2028, and needed to “find savings and efficiencies to deal with rising costs and to reinvest in its strategic priorities”.

“Everything we make now is digital – there is no delineation between content being for a digital audience or not,” Mr Stevens said.

Around 40 positions across the news division are expected to become redundant including journalists, editors, camera and sound operators on “7.30”, “Australian Story”, “Four Corners” and the investigations team.

Included in the changes will be plans for the return of “Stateline” and a new Climate, Environment and Energy team. Other cuts include the digital arts editor and the managing editor of arts.

The media union urged the ABC to provide clarity on the restructure, saying it had been poorly communicated by management.

“The ABC has been running on empty for the past decade and we are concerned about how it can continue to deliver quality public-interest journalism with even fewer staff following these proposed redundancies,” union official Cassie Derrick said.

The ABC recently finalised a pay deal with staff, which Ms Derrick said was a chance for management to reset its relationship with employees.

“It hasn’t got off to a good start.”

Who can be trusted?

In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.

If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.

Become a supporter

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Share this

2 Responses to ‘Desperate’ ABC staff redundant as axe falls on 120

Jen Southwell says: 19 June 2023 at 9:22 am

This action by the ABC only confirms how out of touch they are with the public, who are leaving them in droves because of their ever increasing left & green leaning ideology, but what do they do – create a new Climate Environment & Energy division!!!! Jen

Reply
jennifer manson says: 19 June 2023 at 11:36 am

This is atrocious!

Politics and current affairs are significant areas of importance to Australians, so leaving these areas for the right wing news to dominate, will leave us with fewer perspectives to balance the extremists of any ideology. Probyn is an excellent commentator, even if I don’t always agree with his views. This is plan stupid!

Australian Story, Four Corners and 7:30 are exceptional programs that must not be missed if you want to stay informed. Even Q&A, that frequently annoying program, is well worth watching depending on who’s running it that night and the topics of discussion, as we hear from the public and see the different views. The Drum is also valuable.

I hope we’re not also losing Laura Tingle, another excellent commentator. I’m beginning to fear horribly for the future of the ABC.

Reply

Leave a Reply

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews