FIREFIGHTERS rescued a young woman from her smoke-filled flat early this morning after one of her neighbours heard a smoke alarm and called triple zero.
Several fire crews were sent to the complex in Aspinall Street, Watson just after midnight in response to the emergency call.
Firefighters used a ladder to reach the balcony of the third floor apartment, found the woman and evacuated her from the smoky flat.
The young woman, believed to be in her mid 20s, left food cooking on a stovetop. She was assessed at the scene by paramedics but did not require hospital treatment.
ACT Fire & Rescue Commander Leigh Curtis said the incident was a reminder of the value of working smoke alarms, and the danger of leaving cooking unattended.