A range of businesses across Canberra have been recognised for their commitment to the environment and to the creation of a sustainable city at the 5th annual ACTSmart Business Sustainability Awards.
Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development, Simon Corbell, was on hand to award a number of businesses today as part of the annual event.
“The local business sector is vital to building a sustainable Canberra and it is wonderful to see the number of businesses involved in the program continuing to grow each year,” Mr Corbell said.
“Recognition by the private sector of the need to investigate and plan for climate change, with the commitment to take action, is critically important to our success as a community in responding to climate change.
“The ACTSmart programs contribute heavily to our commitment in reducing greenhouse gases, with the programs being showcased today reducing greenhouse gas emissions by more than 3000 tonnes a year by helping local businesses reduce their energy, water and waste usage.”
- Waste Minimisation: Bentleys of Canberra
- Biggest Recycler – Small event: TEDxCanberra
- Biggest Recycler –Large event: Events ACT – Floriade
- Biggest Recycler – Business: Calvary Hospital
- Motivation Excellence: Gold Creek World of Learning
- Small Business Award: Conservation Council ACT Region
(Highly Commended – Cook the Friendly Grocer & LJ Hooker Dickson)
- Ministers Award for Leadership: Emma Damen – JACS
(Highly Commended – Jo Consentini – Gold Creek World of Learning & Karryn Smith – John James Memorial Foundation)
- Energy Star: US Embassy
(Highly Commended – Libraries – ACT & Bikram Yoga)
- Corporate Award: Schiavello – ACT
(Highly Commended: Bimberi Youth Justice Centre)
- Water Star: Wok it Up Gungahlin
- Innovation Excellence: Gold Creek World of Learning
(Highly Commended: Barmco Mana Partnership)