A 33-year-old Canberra man who faces 19 charges at the ACT Magistrates Court today has been described by ACT police as “a methodical and well-organised offender”. The offender, charged with numerous serious and violent offences dating back to December 2008 has been in custody since January 6.
ACT Police said among the 19 charges against the man are six counts of aggravated robbery, four of theft, and two of aggravated burglary, as well attempted aggravated robbery, taking a motor vehicle without consent, money laundering, possessing a prohibited firearm and damage to property.
Police said he will also face arson charges resulting from an attempt to blow open an ATM in Wanniassa on March 12, 2009.
According to the 35-page Statement of Facts to be tendered before the court today, police allege the man was responsible for a series of robberies, mostly in Canberra’s southside, from December 2008 to October 2010. Police also allege that in several of the incidents the man menaced staff and customers with a sawn-off firearm, which was recovered earlier this year in the offender’s Kambah home in the second of two search warrants.
The offender was caught as a result of Operation Laverda, a major operation that began in July 2010.