Arts in the city
• AH, Bloomsday, June 16, 1904, the day James Joyce’s Leopold Bloom took a stroll through Dublin – it’s beloved of “Ulysses” fans everywhere. Canberra’s Friends of Ireland Society is staging a Bloomsday festival with music and Joyce-style blarney, at the Canberra Irish Club in Weston Creek from 9am on Saturday, June 16. Breakfast bookings essential to 6288 5088 or 6288 7451.
• TERRIFIC news that local artist Karen Green has reached the second stage of judging in the Doug Moran Prize, Australia’s richest portrait prize, with $150,000 awarded to the winner. Finalists will be notified on July 2.
• “GLASS Weave” is an exhibition of new works in hot-blown and kiln-formed glass, inspired by traditional Aboriginal woven eel traps, fish traps and baskets by Jenni Kemarre Martiniello. At Belconnen Arts Centre, 10am-5pm, Tuesday to Sunday, June 16-July 1. Pictured above is “Eel Trap 2”.
• THE Capital Arts Patrons’ Organisation has begun selling tickets to its arts auction party on September 8 at M16 Artspace in Griffith. Early bird prices are available until mid-August at www.capo.org.au or to 6249 7860.
• COMPOSER alert: the International Space Time Concerto Competition is waiving its entry fee and with a total prize pool of $50,000. Open to musicians from all genres, entries close midnight, July 1. Details at www.spacetimeconcerto.com
• RANDOM 9 is a gang of enterprising local artists whose latest show, “N/Eingang [entry]”, is at the ANU School of Art Foyer Gallery, June 19-30 and is homage to that space.
• THE Poetry in Film Festival is hunting for a feature poem of up to 15 lines to be interpreted into four to seven-minute short films, on the theme “The Future Imagined”. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30.
• PIANIST Marcela Fiorillo invites you to “an intimate encounter” – “Astor Piazzolla” at The Street Theatre on June 23. As well, poet Geoff Page will read from his own “Eight for Astor” poems and dancers Karina and Fabian Conca will complete the hat trick. Bookings to 62471223 or www.thestreet.org.au