School flare-up during fire brigade visit

Share Canberra's trusted news:

FIREFIGHTERS got to demonstrate their skills to Lyons Early Childhood School students when a fire broke out during their educational visit this afternoon.

The crew quickly extinguished a small fire inside an oven, which had set off an automatic alarm just after 2pm while they were on an educational visit to the school.

According to ACT Fire and Rescue, today’s lesson is “don’t stop looking while you’re cooking”.

About 250 staff and students were evacuated to an adjoining building and the damage was confined to the oven.

Two pumpers, a Hazardous Materials Unit, breathing support apparatus and command vehicle attended the scene and the fire crew commenced atmospheric monitoring and ventilation operation.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleBourke: Hanson abused committee process
Next article‘Emotional experience’ – New War Memorial show

Leave a Reply