Queanbeyan Council assistance for Fluffy owners

Share Canberra's trusted news:

Tim Overall

QUEANBEYAN Council is offering assistance to families who are eligible to rebuild their homes under the NSW Government’s proposed voluntary buy back scheme for owners affected by Mr Fluffy insulation.

NSW property owners who have Mr Fluffy in their homes may be eligible to take up one of two options:

  1. NSW Government purchase of premises and land
  2. NSW Government Purchase of premises only

The final details of how the buy-back schemes will work is yet to be finalised by the NSW Government but is expected to be announced later this year.

In the interim Queanbeyan Mayor Tim Overall said affected home owners were looking to Council to provide some assistance in a number of areas. He said Queanbeyan Council has agreed to:

  • To provide rates relief for tenanted properties which have remained vacant due to the presence of asbestos, which has created difficult and financial hardship for owners. These owners may now make an application for deferment of rates through Council’s hardship policy.
  • That once the owners have entered into an agreement with the NSW Government for Option 2, that is, purchase of house only/demolition program, that the land be rated as vacant land and charges for services such as waste and sewer use are reduced to vacant land category during the demolition and construction process.
  • That under Option 2 of the NSW Government purchase/demolition program, Council waives the development application, drainage fee and notification fee for construction of a new dwelling by the current owner of the land.
  • Mayor Overall said Council will also approach the State Government about waiving the long service levy and planning levy fees payable for the DAs for rebuilding a replacement dwelling house under Option 2 for the current owner of the land.

“Council staff are writing to the owners of the properties affected by Mr Fluffy loose fill asbestos in Queanbeyan to let them know of Council’s decision and what they can now do. I hope Council’s decision helps these residents at a difficult time.” Mayor Overall said.

Anyone with questions about the fees should call Council on 6285 8000.

Free testing to see if your home may contain loose fill asbestos insulation is still available. Call WorkCover NSW on 13 77 88.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleEvents for Engineering Week 2015
Next articleMount Franklin chalet heritage project complete

Leave a Reply