PET owners are urged to keep animals from swimming or drinking at Lake Ginninderra due to Tychonema algae which, according to Access Canberra, can cause sickness and even death.
A medium alert level has been issued in accordance with the “ACT Guidelines for Recreational Water Quality“, following advice from ACT Health.
A spokesperson from Access Canberra says: “Pet owners should not allow their animals to swim in or drink the water, as pets are much more susceptible to Tychonema algae than humans and exposure can make pets very ill or even result in death.”
People using the lake for recreation, and especially children, are also urged to be cautious.
“Where possible, people using this water for recreation should shower as soon as practicable after leaving the water to remove algae from the skin. Clothing or swimwear that has been in algae-affected water should also be thoroughly washed to remove any algae residue.
“Young children are particularly vulnerable to Tychonema algae exposure as they are more likely to swallow water during recreation. Parents/guardians should monitor children closely and discourage submersion of the face or head to limit Tychonema algae exposure.”
Information on Tychonema algae and alert level via environment.act.gov.au or call 132281.