“THE week of the Italian way of living” culminates with Vivere all’Italiana Day and an open day at the Italian embassy on Sunday, November 25. Visitors will be invited into the embassy gardens where Italian […]
FIREFIGHTERS have barged through the door of a home to save a person unconscious and surrounded by heavy smoke.
ACT Fire & Rescue were alerted of the smoke yesterday (October 18) at about 4pm when a neighbour reported the smoke alarm.
Paramedics assessed and treated the patient on scene before transporting them to hospital in a stable condition.
“We quickly contained the fire to the point of origin in the kitchen, and had it extinguished within minutes,” says ACT Fire & Rescue south commander Danny Brighenti.
“If the smoke alarm had not activated – there would have been a significant delay in alerting emergency services, dramatically increasing the risk of catastrophic consequences.”
“This incident is a timely reminder that working smoke alarms save lives.”