Barr cuts fees to ease hail damage costs

Share Canberra's trusted news:
A car window smashed by hailstones. Photo: ACT ESA

A NUMBER of administration fees and charges will be reduced or waived for Canberrans forced to replace hail-damaged vehicles, according to Chief Minister Andrew Barr. 

Following the monster hail storm on January 20, which is believed to have damaged about 30,000 vehicles across the territory, Mr Barr says the ACT government has decided to cut or waiver administration fees associated with private vehicle registration.

The package of fees and charges cut or waived for drivers impacted by hail damage includes:

  • A stamp duty rebate of up to $100 for vehicles with a value of $10,000 or less that are purchased to replace a vehicle written-off as a result of the hailstorm.
  • Vehicle owners will not have to pay any additional registration fees for a replacement vehicle. Mr Barr says the ACT government will provide refunds for registration cancellation fees ($47.70) and vehicle establishment fees ($48.80 or $95.70 for interstate vehicles not previously registered in the ACT) for those with vehicles written-off by hail damage and replaced.
  • There will be a vehicle road worthy inspection fee rebate of $72.10 and an additional $55.30 should a basic identity inspection be required.

“Many drivers with comprehensive insurance will be spared these costs, but it is anticipated that there will be Canberrans that will be replacing their vehicles out of their own pocket, and these fees and charges would have added to the costs associated with purchasing a new car,” Mr Barr says.

These measures are available for vehicles privately registered in the ACT that were impacted by the hailstorm until June 30.

More information is on the Access Canberra website.

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleJazz ‘supergroup’ plays one great performance
Next articleCartoon / Dose of Dorin

Leave a Reply