
By Tess Ikonomou in Canberra
INDIGENOUS leader Noel Pearson has accused prominent “No” campaigner Jacinta Nampijinpa Price of causing a breakdown in bipartisan support for a Voice to parliament.
Mr Pearson said the opposition’s Indigenous Australians spokeswoman had been “very compelling” in arguing against the Voice.
“Our attempt all along was to maintain bipartisanship on this, and we maintained it for nine years,” he told ABC’s “Insiders”.
“The bipartisanship broke when (Nationals leader David) Littleproud, forced by the indigenous affairs (spokesperson), decided suddenly late last year that they would be opposing the Voice, whereas previously they had supported it.
“I think she set the policy for the National Party, and of course, the Liberals followed later.”
Senator Price has been contacted for comment.
Mr Pearson blasted the coalition’s proposal for a second referendum on constitutional recognition as a “mirage”.
Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has pledged to hold a second vote on recognition for indigenous people if the October 14 referendum fails and the coalition win the next election, although Senator Price has failed to back the proposal.
Mr Pearson said it was a “ridiculous” idea as the coalition had “killed it” themselves.
“His belief last Sunday has been eviscerated by his own indigenous affairs spokesperson,” he said.
“The fact is, we will never get a referendum for constitutional recognition out of these people.
“They are here for constant debate, constant argument… they want this issue to go on for another five years.
“They want this issue to never end, they love conflict and disputation.”
Asked if he believed the Voice referendum can still win, Mr Pearson responded: “absolutely”.
“I just don’t believe when the hand of friendship and reconciliation is extended from indigenous people that at the end of the day, their love will be unrequited,” he said.
“This unrequited love is my worst nightmare, I just don’t believe Australians are capable of that, at this time in our history.”
Who can be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in Canberra.
If you trust our work online and want to enforce the power of independent voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Every dollar of support is invested back into our journalism to help keep citynews.com.au strong and free.
Thank you,
Ian Meikle, editor
Leave a Reply