A FORUM featuring top business identities discussing the rapidly changing nature of jobs into the future will be a highlight of this year’s CareersXpo. The expo at EPIC between August 2 and 3 will be […]
ALISTAIR Coe has released the Canberra Liberals’ vision for the future of cycling in Canberra, with a focus on improved connectedness, safety and a better experience for cyclists.
Alistair says “Our 10 year vision includes:
- Segregated/separated cycle paths on major arterial roads.
- Completion of crucial missing links in the network, such as Kuringa Drive.
- A comprehensive cycling tourism strategy.
- Regular world class cycling and mountain bike races.
- Having cycling regarded as mode of choice for than 10% of commuters.
- Promotion of electric bikes.
- No deaths on our network.
- Support for technology solutions to help friends and family track vulnerable cyclists.
- Better lighting on our network.
- Better education for existing and potential cyclists, and other road users.
- Updated cycling maps in innovative formats.
- Comprehensive street sweeping and removal of chip seal on cycle paths.
- Improved fit-outs to accommodate taking bicycles on board buses.
- Dedicated cycle lanes in the median of Northbourne Avenue, Federal Highway and Flemington Road.
- Retaining mandatory helmet laws.
- Expanding cycle share scheme in consultation with the NCA and national institutions.
“The Canberra Liberals support all forms of cycling, be it for commuting, competition or recreation,” Mr Coe concluded.