BRENDAN Smyth says Simon Corbell is failing to take control of the Emergency Services Authority.
“The failings are continuing inside ESA which is affecting both the fire and ambulance services. It’s obvious Simon Corbell is more focused on the government’s ill-conceived light rail project than managing lifesaving emergency services for Canberrans,” Brendan said.
“The list of issues within the ESA seems to be escalating rather than being resolved.
- Allowing a toxic culture to occur in the ACT Ambulance Service (ACTAS)
- Allowing bullying, sexist, and misogynistic culture to exist in the ACT Fire and Rescue Service
- Concerns over the centralisation of the ESA Commissioner’s powers.
- Failure to procure fully working defibrillators.
- Issues concerning the deployment of a ‘bronto’ lift from NSW during the Sydney Building fire.
- The incomplete enterprise bargaining agreement for ACTAS staff.
- Concerns regarding the integration of the four ESA component organisations.
- Ongoing six year failure to procure new uniforms for ACTAS personnel.
“Simon Corbell needs to address these issues and should start by spending more time managing Emergency Services than focusing on spending hundreds of millions of dollars on light rail,” Mr Smyth concluded.