Ironing machine fault causes Civic evacuations

Share Canberra's trusted news:

fire

APPROXIMATELY 25 people have been evacuated from the Crowne Plaza, Binara Street, City after an ironing machine malfunctioned and created smoke in the basement.

ACT Fire & Rescue attended with three fire pumpers, the Breathing Apparatus Van, the Hazardous Materials Unit and one Commander and have ventilated the area.

Staff and guests are expected to return to the building shortly.

The damage was confined to the ironing machine in the laundry only with some smoke spread through the basement area.

12:19 PM

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleTreasure-trove for music connoisseurs in Hoffmann sale at Lifeline fair
Next articleGreek Glendi this Sunday in Garema Place

Leave a Reply