THE intersection of Isabella Drive and Drakeford Drive was closed earlier today (November 20) following a multi-vehicle crash. At about 10.40am paramedics assessed and treated three patients on scene. Another patient was transported to the […]
JEREMY Hanson says the Canberra Liberals will make parking fairer across the ACT by removing the late night and weekend extensions to paid parking that Andrew Barr made in 2015.
“We will also improve parking in industrial precincts like Phillip and at the Canberra Hospital and University of Canberra,” Jeremy said.
“Last year Andrew Barr laughed off his hikes to paid parking by comparing costs to a bottle of sparkling mineral water at a Civic restaurant when having a $100 dinner. It demonstrates just how out of touch he is with families who need to use parking on nights and weekends,” Alistair Coe said.
“The Canberra Liberals will:
- Revert to the pre-2015 paid parking arrangements in ACT Government controlled car parks; meaning weekend and night charges will no longer apply, except on Friday nights and Saturday mornings.
- Stop the conversion of street-side parks into paid parking in industrial areas. We will consult on apportioning these parks between short-stay and long-stay parks. We will also deliver free parking permits for low paid workers and consult on how to extend them to other low paid workers. We will also consult on how to convert median land (particularly in Phillip) for more car parks and increase overall parking in industrial precincts.
- Create portable parking tickets – to allow commuters to pay once and park anywhere.
- Review parking at the Canberra Hospital to identify opportunities for expansion.
- Negotiate with the University of Canberra to create more parking and stop unfair student fines.
“Removing the daily hassles of parking for Canberrans will be a key focus of a Canberra Liberals Government. We will have a new attitude and bring a new approach,” Mr Hanson concluded.