Share Canberra's trusted news:
A MAN, who was under police guard at Canberra Hospital yesterday (July 18), got into an altercation with a police officer and fired an officers gun.
The 28-year-old was in the hospital at about 4pm after being charged with serious traffic offences earlier that morning.
He was disarmed and restrained by police and no members of the public or hospital staff were injured.
This incident at the hospital has been declared a critical incident.
The man will today face the ACT Magistrates Court this morning (July 19) charged with two counts of attempted murder.
He has been charged with;
- Two counts of attempted murder
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm
- Discharge firearm endangering life
- Attempt to escape from custody or arrest
- Attempted robbery
- Drive motor vehicle without consent
- Two counts of culpable drive causing grievous bodily harm
- Unlicensed driver
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact ACT police on 131444.