Lamp starts fire after falling onto children’s bed

Share Canberra's trusted news:

ACT Fire & Rescue were called out to a house in Barton after a lamp had fallen onto a bed where children were sleeping and caused a fire. 

ESA was alerted of the fire on Bourke Street at about 2.40am and the ESA Communication Centre call-taker advised the caller to evacuate the unit and close the door.

Three adults and three children safely evacuated the unit and awaited emergency services on scene.

Firefighters extinguished the mattress and atmospheric monitoring and air ventilation operations were conducted.

No injuries have been reported.

ACT Fire & Rescue reminds the community to ensure all electrical appliances are safely positioned away from sleeping areas.

Further information on home fire safety can be found on esa.act.gov.au/community-information/home-fire-safety/

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleDigital edition 19 July
Next articleMoore / More to dying debate than meets the eye

Leave a Reply