Unattended candle causes Giralang house fire

Share Canberra's trusted news:

AN unattended candle is suspected to be the cause of a house fire on Pinterry Place, Giralang, this morning (October 2).

At around 9am firefighters responded to an Triple Zero call reporting the fire, which was quickly extinguished. They treated one patient on scene for smoke inhalation, conducted atmospheric monitoring and air ventilation operations to ensure the area was safe.

Emergency Services has reminded the community to always use a proper candle holder that is heat resistant, sturdy and large enough to hold dripping wax, especially on wooden furniture or cloth-covered surfaces.

More at esa.act.gov.au/community-information/home-fire-safety/candles/

Who Can You Trust?

In a world beleaguered by spin and confused messages, there's never been more need for diverse, trustworthy, independent journalism in Canberra.

Who can you trust? Well, for more than 25 years, "CityNews" has proudly been an independent, free, family-owned news magazine, serving the national capital with quality, integrity and authority. Through our weekly magazine and daily through our digital platforms, we constantly and reliably deliver high-quality and diverse opinion, news, arts, socials and lifestyle columns.

If you trust our work online and believe in the power of independent voices, I encourage you to make a small contribution.

Every dollar of support will be invested back into our journalism so we can continue to provide a valuably different view of what's happening around you and keep citynews.com.au free.

Click here to make your donation and you will be supporting the future of journalism and media diversity in the ACT.

Thank you,

Ian Meikle, editor

Previous articleLetters / Hands and hygiene at the hospital
Next articleCartoon / Dose of Dorin

Leave a Reply